Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Market

This afternoon I visited the Provo Farmers Market and it was amazing! As I stepped foot on the block I felt that I was in some inhuman experience. It was like Swiss Days in Midway (Heber, Utah) but about a tenth of the size! I loved the atmosphere. It was like walking in and out of about a dozen different countries and cultures one after the other. I loved it. The choices were endless from crepes from France, Tacos from Mexico, to Tye-Die from a local vendor.

I loved the idea that anyone could sell what they made there. I think that the Provo Farmers Market is a great thing, and I am glad it is there. It also creates the opportunity for local citizens to use their talents not only for their benefit, and also for the appreciation of the comsumers/customers. I only had about twenty minutes to spend at the Market, because I got there later in the afternoon, but if I could have I would have lost myself in every booth, and gotten the whole experience. Hopefully next time I'll be able to spend more time there, and pay more attention to all the booths.

One of the things I found most interesting was the crepes being made with Nutella, bananas, strawberries, and whip cream on top. These I can relate with personally because the first day we were in France, in the little town of Normandy, I tasted my first antique crepe with Nutella from France. It was the best, and it brings back the memories, though they are few, of my short stay in France. Oh, how I long to visit again. All in all I loved the Provo Farmers Market, and i would give it a 9!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm going this weekend and you've got me excited! Nice depiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact that you appreciate what the community has to offer and that you can connect your experience at the farmers market with one that you've had in the past. It is always nice to find places or things that bring back pleasant memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, yes! the farmers market was great. But don't you think the name is a bit deceptive? How many individuals did you see selling produced or home grown products? I only saw maybe two or three. Provo needs to consider changing the name to something that describes what the market is actually like (craft fair more likely). but it is great to be able to support members in the community by purchasing their quality products.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your description about the Farmer's Market. I think it's interesting that you feel it's a cultural experience not just for those who visit but for the vendors also, Ive never thought about it that way. It sounds really neat I'll have to go, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience this week, and that you were able to get so much out of it, especially having good memories. I love going to the Farmer's Market, and I wasn't able to today and I totally miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like it was really fun. I think I'll go tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the farmer's market too! when i was there i found a lot of the boothes to be repetitive though. also, there was no live music, which is something the website promised me.

    ReplyDelete