Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Oquirrh Mountain Architecture

I had the opportunity of attending the new Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House early this-morning with my ward. It was an amazing opportunity to be able to witness all the rooms in the temple before it is dedicated, and not everyone is no longer allowed in the upper rooms. I have only been to two other temple open houses; the Nauvoo and Draper Temples.

As I was walking up to and inside the temple I noticed something special about the temple. I was thinking while we were driving out to the temple, that it wasn't as white as the newly dedicated Draper Temple, or even the Salt Lake Temple. I thought to myself, "why wouldn't they want the temple to be white, like so many of the others?" Then, as I pondered, I came to the realization that each temple is built to match and according to it's immediate surroundings. As we got closer the temple seemed to almost have a reddish, brown tint to it, and I thought "well it matches it's surroundings for sure!"

Then I started thinking back to class when we talked about each building being built the way it was according to, and to fit into, it's immediate surroundings. As I entered and toured the temple, I found that most of the trim and furniture was of a medium wood, that seemed to match the areas surrounding the temple outside. I also noticed from the video shown before the tour, and from walking though the temple, that circles are a significant symbol used in the ornamentation and decoration of this specific temple. There were circles in the carpet, on the walls, and set as the design on the tops of the tables. Here I started focusing on one of the main focuses of my religion, circles, forever families, and the plan of salvation. We are all destined to return to our Heavenly Father through following the plan of salvation with our families, so that we can be happy with our families for eternity. I appreciate this opportunity to tour this undedicated temple even more now that I have learned to look deeper into the meaning of the temple, in relation to both the materials used in building this temple, and the meaning of the often used symbol of the circle.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I really want to go to the open house! It sounds great! I think that's really neat how they're making each temple sort of fit in to the surrounding scenery. Temples really are amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the open house a little while ago and loved it! I agree that all temples have something unique to them especially how they are built according to their surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think that the church does a great job with the temples. they all have a great story as too how the design came and the trials a long the way. i really do agree with the fact that they are built to their surroundings. they are just so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was asking myself the same questions! I went last week. It wasn't until I got out of my car and stood behind the temple that I realized how it just fused in with the hillside it was on and the mountains in the distance. I loved how the interior felt like I was in Potter Barn. You get so used to Temples being 10, 20 years old. It was nice to see some modern sacredness.

    ReplyDelete